Monday, February 27, 2012

10 days

We've been home for 10 days!!  I'm just now starting to get over the jet lag.  So glad we won't be traveling again any time soon.  I think I have traveled enough in the last 3 months then I want to over the next 3 years!  So time for a little update- and I mean little- LOL.  Time to sit down is few and far between these days.

Pasha is very comfortable in our home now.  It didn't really seem to take him very long.  LOL  He's now hugging his brother and sisters, calling them by his names, walking around the house like he's always lived here (except when the dogs are out- he's still hating the dogs.)  His favorite thing in the whole wide world is taking baths.  He would live in the water if he could.  He now tells me "Nyet" (no) when I say it's time to get out.  He is testing boundaries much more now and seeing what he can get away with.  I suppose that's a good thing that he's comfortable, but it's not easy on the mommy!  LOL  He just started this new thing of banging his head and crying when he doesn't get his way.  Hoping that will disappear as quickly as it showed up!

We got little mans medical records over the weekend as well and he seems to have gone through much more than we even knew about.  Poor little one.  We have to do some testing and evaluating to see where he's at now cognitively and such.  We were going to be doing that anyways before we knew his medical history though.

As you all know I'm not one for candy coating things.  I thought I was prepared for when we came home, but I wasn't.  And I honestly don't know that you can be until you're going through it.  I have many friends who've adopted older children and told me different things to expect, but since Pasha is always smiling I was like- he's a happy kid- I won't have any issues.  And he IS a happy kid- but I'm not sure if the smiles are genuine smiles cause he's happy or if it's his default b/c he doesn't know whats going on.  His cognitive delays are hard for me to deal with- I won't lie.  Right now I feel like a fish out of water.  2 of my kids were delayed- and we got help and all was well, but it's different with pash.  It's different b/c he speaks a different language so maybe some of what appears to be cognitive delays are more due to a language barrier?  It's different b/c I don't know his personality very well yet.  We're learning new things each day.  So how much of what I see is perceived and how much is actual delay?  I don't know.  So we're taking this day by day.

 Pasha is a very emotional kid- which is another thing I was not expecting.  He never cried once when we were with him in U.  He always laughed.  Never cried when we left, never cried when we took toys away, never showed emotion in general.  It's a whole new ballgame now.  When he's tired he cries... ALOT.  So we're doing naps every day to help him adjust.  So far so good as long as he's gotten good sleep.  He's still waking up at 4:30 AM- so I'm still very tired.  Please be praying he starts sleeping better cause mommy needs to sleep more!

Well gotta go!!!  Gotta rest while Pasha rests!!! 














3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your journey and on your beautiful family. I've recently stumbled upon your blog, and will be following your writing, and your 'non sugar coating' with interest. We are just at the beginning stages of seriously thinking about adopting an older child from Eastern Europe.

    Congrats again, and sending you strength and energy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from Reece's Rainbow! How are things going for you guys? And have you joined our After the Rainbow group yet? If not, please email me and I'll get you connected. Adoption is an amazing thing but it also brings its challenges! Sometimes it helps to talk to someone who has "been there". Please feel free to email me if you ever have questions or just need to talk.

    ~Rachel Whitmire
    Post-Adoption Care Coordinator
    Reece's Rainbow Down Syndrome Adoption Ministry
    www.reecesrainbow.org
    Rachel@reecesrainbow.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will continue to pray for strength!Emotional and Physical! Not sure what else to say only he is right where he needs to be! Just a piece of the puzzle right? :)Hope you get rest and I must say I am a bit jealous your 5 year old is taking naps... You are winning that battle. ;)

    ReplyDelete