I was asked last night to share how the homeless ministry got started, so here's my story!
So I have been doing homeless ministry since I was a kid. My parents had me involved in homeless ministry from about age 12-16 or so. We went with our former church and would serve in YMCA's and inner city churches. I loved every second of it. I specifically remember one story, which I feel like I have shared before, but maybe I didn't. So we were serving at a YMCA- on our way in I was offered drugs and my dad quickly stepped in and told the guy what was up. LOL. When we did the ministry it kinda went like this: each family brought an aspect of the meal- turkey, mashed potatoes, veggies, rolls, drinks, etc. We set up a long table and we each had something we were responsible for serving to the homeless as they came through line. After the meal the women and children would go to one area and we would do a children's program for the kids. This is where I was most at home. I remember holding this little baby, he was maybe 2-3 months old. I was talking to the mom about her story (I was prob about 13 at the time) and she told me how her husband had left her and she was put out on the streets. Her and her children (I think she had 3-4) lived in the basement of an abandoned church across from the Y. It was winter time and Chicago winters are brutal. The building had no heat or running water. She snuck in there at night to try and keep her kids from the elements. Anyways- this childs face is BURNED into my brain. I remember holding him and just praying for him. When we switched churches we stopped homeless ministry.
When I started being able to drive, anytime I saw a beggar on the street I would go through a fast food place and get them a hot meal and a drink. I don't hand out money as a rule of thumb. I used to have tracts in my glove compartment to stick in the meals. Anyways- fast forward to 2 years ago and me driving downtown Chicago A LOT for all of Pasha's medical appts at the adoption clinic. We were going probably around every month at first as he saw a bunch of specialists as well as surgeries. I would always see Edwards and Dale begging at the exit before I turned. One day I had a banana next to me so I rolled down my window and Edward came over. I handed him the banana, told him I wish I had more to give him, and that I wanted him to know that Jesus saw him. That he was not forgotten. He grabbed my hand and said something along the lines of Thank you, I have felt forgotten for so long. So then each appt I would bring a bunch of fresh fruit with me and hand it out to each of them. This is also when I met Rosalyn. She was not so happy I was handing her food and not money. LOL. I thought she was quite rude and ungrateful and in all honesty didn't have the best feelings towards her. A few months later I decided to start packing backpacks full of non perishables and hygiene items. My train of thought was that they carry all they own with them and a backpack would be helpful for that. So I started collecting backpacks and filling them with the kids. I would hand out about 5 or 6 each trip.
One day I got stuck at a red light and Ros was there. I called her over and gave her a backpack and I asked her what her name was. She told me Rosalyn. I said I was coming back on Friday and what could I bring her that she needed. Her answer shocked me. She told me her birthday was on Monday and she would really love a card to know that someone cared about her. This woman, who had nothing, who I thought was mean and rude, only asked for a card. That's it. So I put the word out on my backpacks for homeless facebook page and got some gifts to bring to her. I got her a bible and a card. I found Ros and pulled over so she could open her gifts- she cried and cried and kept saying "Thank you Jesus, someone does care." I stuck with just handing out backpacks to my "regulars" Edward, Dale, Rosalyn, Nevin, and a few others. My kids would come with and also fell in love with Ros and she loved them back. Black Friday of last year we decided to go downtown and give back on a day known for greed. I made a crockpot of chili and corn muffins and we headed downtown. Each person had a role- the kids each handed something to Eric to hand out the window while I drove. Eric dished bowls of chili and handed them out. My whole family left with a new perspective. We talked with the kids about how grateful each of the homeless were to have one hot meal and how we all take for granted what we have.
Fast forward to now- now that the weather is much warmer- I now cook crockpots of food, as well as my friends who are now going with me, and we park in a parking lot and serve the homeless a hot meal pray with them and hand out care packs with hygiene items, socks, fast food gift cards, and non perishable foods. We have been packing between 30-40 bags and we run out each time in about an hour. For my regulars- who I now consider friends- I ask them if there is anything specific they need and I bring that for them as well. This time Edward needed shoes and socks. Last time Rosalyn needed some insoles for her shoes. When I have the money I will also go to the walgreens and load money onto their bus cards for them so they have a way to get around. I felt terrible this time when Edward asked me if I could put anything on his bus card and I had no extra money to be able to do that. Hopefully next time!
So that's the story! Any donations are always welcome! If you would like to donate shampoos and conditioners we ask that they please not be used. There's a level of respect we have for our friends and I don't want them to feel as though they are less then or worthy of left overs. They need to feel cherished and loved. Thanks for reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment