Monday, March 12, 2012

This is not for M&M's

Just a warning before you start reading: there is going to be NO candy coating in this post.  Like my friend says (and I have stolen the quote!) "Candy coating is for M&M's"- Carolyn Twietmeyer.  So if you want to know the all of it- the ugly, the  beautiful, the progress, the fall backs, then feel free to read on.  If you don't want to know- click that little X on the top right of your screen.  I will probably be judged, but that's ok.  This IS my reality and I think it's only fair to be honest.  Many people like to put on a happy face and pretend everything is sunshine and rainbows, but I'm keeping it real folks.  Adoption is hard- the process was hard, but being home is much much harder.  I write this b/c I think it's an adoptive parents right to know what COULD happen.  Not what will happen- each child is so very different and every persons experience is so very different.  But I am going to tell you whats going on here- I am going to be 100% vulnerable.  100% open and honest.  So here goes.

Our honeymoon period with Pash lasted 6 days.  I was kinda hoping for longer, but I'm grateful for those 6 days- even though I was BEYOND sleep deprived from being jet lagged and having a child who woke up at 3 or 4AM every day.  Now 24 days into this... reality has hit.  I am dealing with constant temper tantrums, sensory issues, medical issues we weren't expecting (surgery tomorrow!), sleep deprivation, a messy house b/c my new son requires all of the attention of a 2 year old without the luxury of multiple naps, etc.  I feel like I have been in a dark place these last 2 weeks- the challenges are SO much.  Much much more than I anticipated.  I expected to bring home a 5 year old son who would be about the cognitive level of a 4 year old due to living in an orphanage.  I did not expect to bring home a child who is in the terrible 2's.

I expected testing of boundaries as he was trying to figure out his new home and what is ok and what is not.  I did not expect the amount of testing going on.  I did not expect to be so emotionally exhausted that I just want to break down into tears every hour b/c he just won't stop doing things like splashing his milk all over the couches, living room walls, floors and dogs when I leave him for 2 min.  I did not expect that he would think it's fun to play in the potty and splash it ALL over the bathroom... AFTER he's peed in it and not flushed.  These are things my children have NEVER done.  I was NOT prepared for that!

I was expecting a lot of crying due to grief of leaving his friends and all he's ever known, I expected eating issues, I expected attachment problems and abandonment issues.  We don't have what I expected.  He is very bonded to both Eric and I- and all his siblings.  The Dr we see said he does not see any signs of attachment or abandonment problems.  This is awesome news!  He does however see signs of "institutionalized autism".  This means that he will most likely grow out of these behaviors.  He has been sensory deprived for SO long that he needs a lot of sensory input.  This requires a LOT of time on my part.  We are doing some kind of sensory input on an hourly basis.  Joint compressions, bouncing on an exercise ball, sensory play, tight hugs, firm massage, etc etc.  I am doing a lot of research as to how to help my child.

Here comes the most vulnerable part of this post- this is a story I have only told my mom, mil and best friend Marcy.  Not that long ago- maybe beginning of last week- I was laying in bed with Pasha while he threw a tantrum at 3:30 AM.  He wanted to be up playing, but obviously- that's not going to happen at 3:30. I rocked him, snuggled him, rubbed his back, did everything the Dr told me to do- and he wouldn't stop.  In my sleep deprived state I said to God "This was a mistake.  My life was calm, happy, and in order before this child came into our lives.  Did I really hear you tell me to do this or did I make it up in my head?  Is this my punishment for making something into your will if it wasn't?  Why did I do this to myself?  I was totally content with my 4 kids." Ok let the judgements start! ;)  I told you- no candy coating here!  Well in that dark room at 3:30 AM I heard God whisper to my soul- "If this wasn't my will- would I have provided the whole way?  Would I have moved the mountains that stood in the way?  How many people have told you how their lives were changed through your story? This is for MY glory- I never said it would be easy."

2 Corinthians 4:7-12; 16-18 
    But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body. So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you. 
     Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.




How is that for some encouragement?  These battles I'm facing- they are temporary.  They are awful- I hate going through them, but they are temporary.  

So adoptive parents who smile and hide your struggles-You don't have to!  It's OK!!  It's normal.  It's hard!  But we're not facing this alone! What does it benefit you or others if you plaster on a smile and pretend all is well when you really feel like your whole life is falling apart?  How can we help each other, build each other up and be real with each other- if we're not first honest with ourselves.  The first months to year home might totally suck the life right out of you!  You might not be able to tell up from down at this point- but there's a purpose.  I know through my struggles with Pasha I have been able to help one of my dearest friends who wasn't aware her adopted girls had sensory issues.  There's ALWAYS a reason.  Even if the ONLY reason I am going through these intense tantrums, sleep issues, and blatant disobedience is to help one other adoptive parent- then so be it.  God will get the glory through it all.  Through the sunny days and the days that are as dark as the night. 

















12 comments:

  1. praying for you as you cling to God's word to guide you. You are right..... he provided..... he will continue to provide. I will especially pray for rest for the weary (i.e. you!! )
    Thank you for being real, so that another mama somewhere will know she's not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((((HUGS)))))

    YES! You are so very right. Things sometimes just stink once you get home and there is not a darn thing you can do but cry out to your Heavenly Father.

    Praying for you as you adjust, learn your new son, and learn how to balance your new normal. Hang in there and know you are loved and being prayed for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I was there to help you. We had one hard adoption and it put us through the ringer for sure. I said those words to God many times but in retrospect it was just exhaustion and stress. We've adopted 5 more times after that first one and are now...well you know. Anyway believe it or not you get through it and look back and smile as you see what God has done in your and the child's life. Do take help from wherever it is offered. Put the school on the back burner and literally run all the energy out. Seriously, physical exhaustion can so help him to cope and to get all those yucky things out that he doesn't understand. If you receive any judgment...delete it...ignore it... and go on with doing the amazing thing you are doing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you're struggling. But I had to smile just a little b/c there was a point with Gavin that I remember thinking, "Maybe we should have picked Pasha (or Sasha, or Danylo) instead!";) We had quite an adjustment phase ourselves. Not so much the sensory stuff, though. More along the lines of eating and sleeping. If given the option, I don't think Gavin would sleep at all. What's up with that?? Are they vampires?? Thankfully melatonin did work well with Gavin, and nowadays he doesn't need it, he just falls asleep on his own. But he's always the first one up at like, 6:30 am every single day. But he goes downstairs and watches tv until breakfast. He doesn't get into stuff any more, but he used to. He had to know what was in every cupboard and drawer in the house. Which comes in handy when I can't find something; I just ask Gavin and he almost always knows where to find anything! His inquisitive nature has turned out to be quite a gift! :) Things will get better. But I know you already know that :)Praying spring and summer bring lots of great times together for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judgement will not come from those that have traveled this road, I assure you! The first year is so very difficult. I was thinking we had made a mistake even before I got home, so by the time we were home I was already done! It took a long time for me to finally feel any love for my daughter...or even like her.
    You are not alone.
    But most important, as time goes by you WILL fall in love. Getting to know each other take s a while. And someday you will look back at these very hard days and know without a shadow of a doubt that you would do it all over again, that there is no way you could do life without your child.
    On the meantime, being honest and real is so good, and that honesty will bring much healing. What a brave thing you have done, and what a gift to know this is normal to those that will come behind you. I wish I someone would have told me this was normal when we adopted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's why I wrote it Ellen- I didn't know this was normal. I felt VERY guilty until I talked to my girlfriend who told me it was normal. It made me so relieved to know that! I want every parent of an adopted to child to know before hand so they know what to expect. I heard the phrase "fake it till you make it" about attachment- luckily I don't have to do that- I do love this kid already. Even though he gives me a run for my money most days! LOL Thanks for all the encouragement my friends! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking of you and your family and praying for you, at least daily, if not more. I'm so glad you are being open and honest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I'm sending prayers your way. Sounds like my first week with my son adopted from US foster system (but right out of neglectful birth family) vs foster home. He was 8 and it was so hard! My first and only child. I was single too. Thought was prepared. Took time but it does get better! Now with my second adoption from Russia I was prepared for worst I thought. Then i had this crazy, amazing no end to honeymoon adoption. It's been 2.5 years and I'm just now starting to feel that I can trust how well that second adoption went. I feel guilty talking about it because some others who went before and a few after were not so blessed. I did have to fake it with my older son! I thought I understood. US adoption training program covered some heavy stuff but in midst of it, boy was it harder done then understood! My best advice: don't break down in gut wrenching sobs while driving your child back from nerve shattering grocery store visit and if you do blame it on forgetting to buy scallop potatoes that you really wanted for dinner---to this day, 7 years later my older son tells about how I loved scallop potatoes so much and he even called around one year trying to find a resteraunt to go to for my birthday that served them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicole,

    I am not an adoptive mother, I am a momma of two in California who prays and supports RR in different ways. I thank you for this post. Honesty of every kind, from EVERY kind of mother is so necessary and life-affirming. If you are honest, you make it safe enough for any of us other mothers out in the world to be honest about our fears, our struggles, our worries, our regrets, our triumphs and our failures.

    May God Bless and Keep You
    May God Shine His Light Upon You
    May God Grant You Peace.

    Keep walking ahead sometimes 15 minutes by 15 minutes. Keep close to God, keep telling the truth and keep self-love and self-forgiveness close at hand and in your heart. You are one brave momma.

    I will keep you and Pasha and the whole family in my prayers.

    Jane
    a reader/mom in California

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to smile at your admission of feeling "this was a mistake". I can't tell you how many times I felt that same way with my newborn son that I had just given birth to! I wouldn't be surprised if it's a common overwhelmed thought that many mothers of babies and adoptive children alike have cross their minds from time to time :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like Jane above, I am also a reader from California who has not adopted. We have 3 bio kids and are now talking about pursuing adoption. I've heard it over and over - don't have expectations because you never know what you're going to get! Well, I think that is difficult for us humans. We are always thinking about our future and how it will look, you know? I very much appreciate this post. Seriously, because I realize that I could find myself in a similar way if we adopt, and it's just comforting to know that God saw you through. He will continue to see you through every hard moment. Thank you for the reminder that He is so good. Your little boy is totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Annie- my thought process this whole time has been "I am expecting the worst and hoping for the best." I guess in the "worst" I was expecting something other than these autistic behaviors and repeat surgeries. My "worst" was a lot of crying b/c he was sad, the bio kids having a rough adjustment (which wasn't the case at all!), a 5 year old who seemed more like a 4 year old, and some behavioral issues. I didn't expect to bring home a child who is cognitively 2, has serious behavior issues and more medical issues than i knew about. But God knew and so i'm cool with it- even though there I days I truly struggle. God is sovereign and none of this is a surprise to him. He knew each trial we'd face and each trial is a chance for us to grow. It's just hard to see that in the midst of it ;)

    ReplyDelete