I get a whole lot of questions these days on why we're adopting. So I figure why not blog about it! LOL It's not about us. That is the #1 think I am trying to tell people. It is about him. I don't have any needs that I am trying to have met by adopting another child, it's not because I have to have more children, it's not because I'm not satisfied with my life. I love the children God has already blessed me with and if God wasn't calling us to adopt- I would be content with the children that I have, BUT He is calling us to adopt- and I am way excited about that. We are adopting b/c our boy NEEDS us. The statistics in EE are scary - when you are an orphan you have a place to live until you are 6- that's it. 6 years old and you get moved to a mental institution- even when there is nothing wrong with you. In that place are kids up to the age of 16 and practically no supervision. At the age of 16 you get kicked out again if you have managed to stay alive until that age. Once they are out of there I think it is something like 20% of children commit suicide- they feel they have no reason to live and dying has to be better then what they have lived through so far. If they choose to live- 75% of those girls will become prostitutes to be able to support themselves- up to this point they have had no education, no training on right from wrong- they can't get a job. 80% of boys will become hardened criminals. What kind of life is that for these children? Someone needs to come to their aid. They are lost in this huge world alone- ALONE! I can't look at my boys picture and say I am ok with him possibly commiting suicide or having a terrible life. I am not ok with that. If bringing him home to a loving family means us giving our "luxuries" such as expensive vacations, eating out, new clothes whenever we want them, new cars, bigger house, etc etc I am beyond ok with that. I will gladly give that up to give him a home. In the big picture of things- what is more important?! I believe everyone has the ability to bring a child home, I'm not saying you are called to, but can you do it? You sure can. We live on a shoe string budget, but we know that God will provide and we trust Him. Lots of people are calling us crazy- we get the blank stare like are you serious? Can you handle more children? How are you going to afford another child? Yes- we can handle more children- every mom has their up and down days- some days are better then others, but would a bad day cause me to regret having my children? Of course not. We make it through one day at a time. That's all anyone can do. Can we afford more children- like I said- God will provide. It's all about trusting Him and following what He has commanded us to do. Finally are we crazy- who's not a little crazy? LOL But seriously we know beyond a shadow of a doubt this is what God is calling us to- and I would never tell God I don't feel like having this blessing you want to give me. Children are a blessing from the Lord- biological or adopted.
Nicole that is SO powerful! You (ok, probably more the Lord) has me crying now. I have always wanted to adopt, but we also live on a shoestring budget, in a house that we are already cramped in, and also with fibro I have my hard days. But that is NOTHING compared to what those kids go through! I am going to start praying about what the Lord would want me to do about adopting. Whether I should be more serious about it. Im praying for your family also!!
ReplyDeleteI love this post, it's not about us...and the point you make about the luxuries that we willingly give up because SOMEONE ELSE has a need that those luxuries can meet. I wish everyone could have this heart and thank you for sharing your thoughts.
ReplyDelete~Amy
theleastofthesematthew2540.blogspot.com
Thanks Amy!
ReplyDelete