Monday, May 23, 2011

Army wives

I think it is great when TV shows deal with real life issues- especially when it's done with truth. I have always liked the TV show Army wives since it first aired- and the show has only gotten better. Last week I was watching it and the Burtons (one of the families) was looking into adoption. They went to a home and met this little boy named David. They were asked before they met him if they were open to children with any special needs such as medical issues, development delays, behavioral problems, etc. They said yes! So they meet David- they fall in love with him and want to persue adopting him- then they hear the words "There's something you need to know- he's HIV+" I was excited to see where this new twist in the plot would go and was really hoping that Army Wives would really take the issue seriously and educate the people watching.

At first when they heard the news they freaked out- "why didn't you tell us that before we met him!" The social workers response- "would that have changed your mind on meeting him?" The answer was yes. They knew they would have looked at him with a stigma- they would have pre-judged him. So they left saying they had to think about it.

Last night was the follow up episode- and it did not disappoint me! They show Roland sitting down with all of his friends (the army wives) and telling them they decided to go through with adopting David- and there was something they had to know- he is HIV+. They had a pretty natural reaction- they all kind of looked shocked. So Roland continues- I want you to know- we would never do anything that would potentially harm Sarah Elizabeth (their child) or any of your children. HIV can not be transmitted through saliva, playing, hugging or any other normal behavior- only by blood to blood contact and even then the chances are rare. One of the army wives who is a nurse speaks up and says- I have never heard of a case of a nurse getting it either and there are needle sticks all the time. Roland says "I really hope you all love him" And the best response from Roxy "Of course we'll love him- he's your son!"

I love that Army Wives dealt with this issue in a truthful way. I love that the friends accepted the boy immediately and refered to him as his son. That is rare. For people outside the adoption community- they don't see an adopted child as "their child", but "the adopted child". We as adoptive parents see them as our children- they were just born somewhere else, but they are as much our children as our blood related children. They weren't concieved in our bodies, but in our hearts. God planted that seed and caused the love for a child we don't know to grow so strong that we would go through this crazy hard, challenging, financially taxing, emotionally draining, exhausting process. Adopting is HARD!! If someone says it's a cake walk- they have no idea what they're talking about. It is so much harder than I would have thought! BUT it is SO worth it. When you know it's what Gods calling you to do- it's a bit easier. But once we get there and meet our son- and eventually get to bring him here home to us- it is all so worth it in the end. http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif

That's all for today. Hope you all have a blessed day- and be praying for the Davis family as they go to court for their appeal for Kirill tomorrow! Praying they overturn the other judges ruling and that sweet boy gets to come home with his family! Also pray for the families who are in Joplin, MO! I can't imagine the total devestation they are dealing with right now as well as the mourning of the lives lost. Praying for each of you today! Loves!

If you wanted to watch the Army Wives episode- you can watch it here

3 comments:

  1. Love your heart, Nicole and I think your son is going to be the luckiest kid on the block with you for a Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Renee! That is such a sweet comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, I watched that show when it first came out (I was dating a guy in the Army and desperate for anything to help me through his deployment) Now that they're doing HIV adoption I may have to start watching again!! Your sweet boy is so cute!

    ReplyDelete