Friday, June 3, 2011

10 years ago

I have just been thinking a lot the last few days- and this morning it hit me- I wish I would have known this 10 years ago- although I don't think I could have understood it- or listened to it. But here's my thoughts for myself 10 years ago.

Don't put your trust in people. People will fail you- more often than not. Only look to the one person who is always on your side- and that is your Heavenly Father.

People will claim to be your friends- but they don't know the true meaning of friendship so protect your heart.


Accept correction humbly. People will speak into your life and it is your responsibility and your actions after that that you will be responsible for. You need to take a step back and look at the big picture- can you see how they would have come to that conclusion? What was their tone- are they truly just looking our for you and your best interest or are they being judgemental? Don't default to judgemental, b/c more often than not- it's someone just truly caring for you and your future. Don't lose friends b/c of something like correction.

Don't act like a rebellious child when someone older in the faith speaks truth to you. It is what the Word tells them to do, and you need to have a humble spirit, pray about it, and do what the Lord tells you.

Don't cause division- you have seen what that has done with your own eyes. You have seen churches fall apart b/c of a divisive spirit.

If you are not being used to encourage someone- are you instead being used to discourage?

Do not speak badly about others- it leaves a bad representation of you when you do. Guard your mouth.

Mistakes you make will be remembered by others much longer than they are remembered by you. Especially if they are done to them. Try your hardest to only speak good and do good to others so they only have good to say about you.

Sometimes you will only see the bad about others b/c that is all they show you time and time again. You have to really search for the good- ask God to show them to you with His eyes so you can see them how He sees them.


Those are just a FEW of the lessons I have learned the last decade- and some more so over the last year. This last year I have really opened my heart to people and let them get close- and then I was forced to see reality again- and got burned by "friends". 10 years ago I was in a place where I was exhorted for a pattern of wrong doings. Nothing horrible, but nothing Godly. Someone was just trying to lead me down the right path and instead I rebelled and I think got a critical spirit. No, I know I had a critical spirit b/c I would roll my eyes when the name was mentioned. I would get angry at the thought of them. That is not Godly. I had to check my own spirit- I was the one in the wrong (It took me about 6 years to discover that!). It was pride. OUCH. No one likes to hear that word huh? Thoughts in my head were "who does she think she is" "She has no right to say anything to me" and many many more of the same.

Since then I have been in the "older" persons shoes- seeing things in a newer believers life that would cause them and others to stumble. And I have recieved the reaction of the spoiled rebellious child towards me. Quite humbling to be in the other persons shoes now. It sucks to be the one who has to bring correction as much as it sucks to be the one who receives it. I wish I would have responded back then with "As a friend, I know how hard that was for you to bring to my attention. I didn't realize that it appeared that way" Or "You know what- I am going to pray about that and see if God shows me the same thing. Thank you for being a true friend to me and risking me getting angry at you when you're looking out for my better good"

What would you tell yourself 10 years ago that you wish you would have known then?? I know certain things only come through living, but I wish 10 years ago I could have grasped the concept of humbly accepting correction, and I wish now that some adults could grasp the concept. I think there would be so much less drama in our lives if we didn't get offended so easily and instead saw the big picture of what someone is trying to tell us. Do you agree??

I just googled humility and found this video- at time 6:55 is when it gets to what I am trying to say. They say it much better than I.



Ok so leave your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment