Monday, June 13, 2011

Parents

So I don't know why this has been in my head, but God hasn't let it leave my head in about a week so I guess I'll blog about it!

I hear a lot of people blaming things on their parents these days. My dad didn't love me enough or give me enough attention- so I sleep around to compensate. My mom worked and I had to help so I feel I got ripped off on my childhood. My parents didn't have a lot of money so I have to make up for that by working tons so my kids have everything they ever want. My parents were really strict and I wasn't allowed to drink- so I want to experience it. My mom/dad did this or didn't do this.

These are valid- I'm not saying that how your parents raised you doesn't have an effect on your adult life, HOWEVER there comes a time once you're an adult where you have to get past the excuses and take responsibility for yourself.

Just b/c your mom had to work and you had to help out doesn't not give you the right to carry resentment and anger as an adult. You need to forgive and move on.

Just b/c you and your father didn't have a great relationship doesn't mean you have the right to sleep around and get attention from other males to make up for what you lacked as a child. You need to realize he was a human and we all make mistakes. Forgive and move on.

When you harbor bitterness and anger towards your parents for not giving you what you feel you should have had- it only causes you stress and unhappiness. So learn from their mistakes! Change the pattern of behavior! You have the ability to do that! You can see something from your childhood that wasn't cool- and make a conscious effort to NOT do that same thing. But treating your parents with disrespect and being angry at them is not appropriate behavior. You are now responsible for your own actions. You are responsible for what you do from this moment on. This is your starting point!! You can forgive them and be free from those chains that are binding you! You can have freedom! How wonderful is that?

So make the decision today- decide to forgive those who you feel did you wrong- and walk in freedom from the negative thoughts of them, free from the anger, free from the resentment. It is a process for sure- you will probably have to forgive them about 100 times a day at first, but keep giving it over to God! Let Him change your heart.

1 comment:

  1. I once read something along the lines that false forgiveness is just another way to punish that person..to say you forgive them then keep throwing it in their face when you are hurt... Very wise woman you are, Nicole, thank you for sharing your heart with us.

    ReplyDelete